West Park Ice Rink
Lake Forest, IL
ICE SKATING AT WEST PARK
- 2.14.24: The Skate Pond is CLOSED for the season.
- Please watch this page for updates.
- A sign is placed outside the rink indicating the status of the rink as well.
Sunday: 12:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Monday – Thursday 3:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Friday: 3:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
If the sign indicates that the rink is closed, please stay off the ice so we can avoid any delays in getting the skating pond back open.
Factors Affecting the Ice:
Skateable ice: The following criteria must be met in order to develop skateable ice:
- 5-7 inches of ground frost
- Average temperatures of 20 degrees or colder for five consecutive days
- Minimum of five days to spray and freeze to make ice
- Periodic sweeping and resurfacing as needed depending on weather conditions.
The following factors can delay opening:
- Rain, snow, and vandalism to the ice can delay the ice from freezing even when weather conditions are perfect. Damage is caused by walking through thin ice or by debris being thrown onto the freezing ice. It takes a great deal of labor to remove footprints and debris from the ice and thus prevents the ice from having a smooth and safe surface for your enjoyment.
- Snow creates problems as well. Snow insulates the ice from cold night time temperatures and slows the freezing rate. Our parks department is responsible for snow removal at all of our facilities including city parking lots and all walkways. Once the snow stops and all other facilities are cleared, snow removal at the skate pond will begin.
- Designated Hockey Rink
- Ice Rink Guards
- Skating Pond (Seasonal)
- Warming House